Fall bellyfloppin

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Seems the sandpipers occupy this small finger at the same time everyear around this time. The pond is manmade and used for drainage for rain. this affords easy access and a few good spots where beavers dragged trees through to shoot.

Specific Feedback

I under exposed by a full stop for this shot, due to a white body on the subject and a dark backround. was the exposure too low is what im asking. anyother advice would be greatly appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon Z8 400mm f/4.5 w/ 1.4TC

Shot at 560 mm f6.5 1/1250s ISO1400

Topaz to sharpen.

processed through lightroom.

Hi K Wolo :slight_smile:

I really like the low perspective and the mood set by the environment!

I like the brightness of the sandpiper in the second version but I like the crop in the first version better.
Better yet (in my personal view), may I suggest using a 3:2 AR for the crop, place the center of the sandpiper where the lines cross at the upper left 1/3rd of the frame? (leaving the right and bottom edges of the frame as they are, this means cropping out the top and left portions and BTW, the 3:2 AR ratio is merely for reference, I’m not suggesting to adhere to a specific AR.)

It’s really just a thought and just my personal opinion :slight_smile:

It’s a really nice capture! :slight_smile:

I definitely prefer the exposure in the second image as well, KWol. Here’s a crop somewhat similar to what @Merv mentioned, though I ended up moving the sandpiper a bit further to the right.

Good catch and the detail in the sandpiper is very good.

This is a very nice capture of the sandpiper taking off; detail looks good and the water droplets are nice as is the environment. The reflection is nice as well. I prefer the first image as we’re getting a closer view of the bird and the duck in the second is a bit of a distraction. I could see brightening the bird in the first image slightly. I like the colors in the water I think the crop suggestions are a good idea.

I apologize, the second photo is the unedited
/uncropped version.

I appreciate the advice.

Nice crisp flight catch KWol catch. I like the darker background processing. It sets a nice mood and gives the attention to the subject . But the the sandpiper could get back to the original exposure and softness with a subject mask in LR. Very nice shot takeoff of the Yellowlegs.