Least Sandpiper & repost

Shorebirds have been migrating through.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Not sure whether the autofocus bird is a distraction.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-1250, 500 PF +1.4 extender, F8, 2500th, Nikon D 500, handheld, 70% of full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Excellent detail and pose, David. I wish there were a touch of separation from the background bird. So we’re still getting migration? I may need to find someplace to shoot them.

Hello, David, nice bird and I like the low point of view. Did you do something with the BG, as there seem to be some artefacts around the birds head, but it may be as well be irregularities in the BG. About your question, I wish the bird was more OOF, than if would have competed less for attention with the main subject. Otherwise a fine image. Cheers, Hans

Nice look at the sandpiper. I like the setting and background. The OOF bird is ok with me; these birds tend to be in flocks, so more than one in the shot seems to be an accurate depiction of a typical scene.
I’m wondering if this isn’t a Least Sandpiper. A Semi-palmated Sandpiper would be a rare sighting on the west coast. The legs appear yellowish (more so on the one in the back) and I don’t see any webbing on the toes.

As others have mentioned, identification of sandpipers is quite difficult. According to Sibley, it appears that the legs like yellow on the Least Sandpiper the wing feathers are quite similar to the Semi Palmated Sandpiper but I would agree after looking more closely at this reference that you are probably correct, and that is a Least Sandpiper rather than Semi Palmated. (By the way, as I had mentioned previously I use dictation software and this came out as: Leased Sandpiper. So which Piper do you pay?)

With respect to the irregularities in the background, that is probably a topaz Denoise AI artifact. I did my best to fix it and it should be considerably better.

Foreground bird looks very good in the repost. Exposure was just right, bird is nice and sharp, etc. I noticed the same thing Hans pointed out. I’d have to really study these to figure out what species they are. I’d personally prefer it if the BG bird hadn’t merged with the FG bird.

I like this, David. Exposure and clarity are excellent on the front bird and you did a good job of eliminating the de-noise artifacts in the second version. Personally, I don’t mind the overlap with the background bird at all because it has enough separation to not confuse the two and the second bird provides some environmental info that gives the scene a strong sense of presence.