Semi-Palmated Plover

This is from the Pacific Northwest coast spring migration. Heading out there tomorrow for the fall migration. Can never get enough shorebirds…

The head is a little softer on this than I would like.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Iso-800, 500 mm PF +1.4 extender at 700 mm, F8, 2000th, handheld, D500, 75% of full frame, some cloning of stuff in the water, foggy with sun breaks.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Odd that the head should be a problem with those shooting specs, David. At web resolution and with your processing, it looks fine. I guess you could have done the bird like the reflection and made it headless, but that really ruins eye contact.

Looks pretty darn good to me. I like the environment and the partial reflection. Maybe a tad soft, but nothing I’d worry about.

A nice capture, David. I like Dennis’ fix, go headless like the reflection! Really, it is a great shot, down eye level with him.

No problem with this from my perspective David. I love the light and the pose-neat bird in habitat image.