Fall Colors - Backlit Aspens

While shooting the splendor of Fall in Colorado, I was looking for images other than the grand landscape (which was spectacular). I found this set of yellow/orange aspen leaves backlit with a distant background of fall colors. The radiance was really special.

I darkened the background in post a bit to help accentuate the subject.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus EM-1 Mark III
40-150 f/2.8 @ 95mm
1/1250, f/2.8, ISO 200

@keithcbauer
4 Likes

Well, you scored here, Keith. This is excellent. The Bokeh is incredible and the focus on the branch and leaves really stands out. Perfect.

I like this small scene. The colors of the out of focus background provide a great backdrop for these warm leaves. I suppose shooting birds provides a lot of practice and experience for this sort of composition. It’s also a delicate little scene.

This is a beautiful little scene. How nice that you spotted these leaves, and then situated yourself for that far away soft background. The warm glowing colors are great!

Great colours and I think the bokeh simplifies the image nicely. It has a dreamy mood. Did you use an Orton effect on the highlights here?

Keith, Just love how you photographed this small intimate scene. The branch and leaves look fantastic in this backlit light creating a beautiful glow. Wonderful color and excellent use of soft bokeh. Great work!

Gorgeous color and well composed. Very warm and inviting.

I love the warmth of autumn that your image conveys.

Autumn on such an intimate level can be just as beautiful as the grand landscape. This is a very expressive image Keith, it just is so evocative of the cozy mood of autumn. I just love this image :+1: :+1:

Incredible glow and color pop in this image Keith. I just love small, intimate scenes like this and you had a really good background to help show off this tiny little branch in the foreground. I only wish for just a little more room on top but I have a feeling there was some issues with the background that kept you from including more. Beautiful image Keith.