Fall Fog on the Rim

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any and All, please.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and All please

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Thanks to the editors for challenging us to think about “flat” light, and what it takes to capture the unique feeling that it gives.

Taken at F16 at 1/5 sec and ISO of 64.

Camera Nikon 810, lens 20-35mm f/2.8 @ 20mm

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Oh, I love this, Cheryl. Very nicely seen. I like how the treetops and their reflections have different contrast. The limited color palette works really well, too. My only nit is that there is a barrel distortion along the horizon. Should be pretty easy to correct.

Thanks Adhika. I am a big fan of both your landscapes and wildlife, so your critique is especially appreciated. I will see what I can do to correct the distortion. Again, thanks for taking the time.

Cheryl, this is flat out beautiful.

1 Like

Hey @Cheryl_Kuhl.

Such a beautiful scene, it overflows with a clam and relaxing mood.
Those yellow leafs are just gorgeous, and the fog on the top add a lot of mysticism to the scene.
Hope you dont mind but i’ve download the image and tweaks some things:

1- Corrected some of the barrel distortion of the lens most noticeable on the horizon, the distortion of the trees its not a problem for me.
2- Crop the image to center that tree and create a kind of dual symmetry (horizontal on the horizon and vertical on the central tree).
3- Lowered the blacks a bit, just for personal taste but using a bit more of range of the image (it had no information on the darker part of the histogram)

Again great image, amazing scene, thank you for sharing,
Cheers

Cheryl, this looks great, with outstanding clarity in the reflections and nice colors in the lower half of the trees. The transition in the trees as they fade into the fog works well and adds context. With a suitably ironic grin, I will wonder how a subtle increase in contrast in the center of the upper 1/3 would look.

Oh, this is just spectacular! I love that you kept/brought out the shadow details in the tree trunks. This has such a sense of depth.

1 Like

Joao,
Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful insights. I have learned much from the observations and suggestions from you, Adhika, Mark and others on this one landscape. It is all taken in and taken to heart. Thanks to all for sharing your insight and knowledge!

1 Like