Mountains under the fog

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I have very little experience with shooting fog and until that sunrise shooting I didn’t even understand why everybody is getting so excited about fog. But then I got to this lake in teton national park and after a hike up we came to a beautiful lake that the fog just added to its magic.

Specific Feedback

As it is one of the few pictures I have of fog any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Sony a7c, tamron 17-28, f/13, 0.4 sec, iso 160, 28 mm. I did some post processing to try to improve the light and the color (hopefully in the right direction :grinning:
Here is an edited version based on the comments given:

I love it when mist forms over calm water like this. Well, of course it’s calm, Kris…fog has a hard time forming in wind! :laughing:

Anyway, nice catch and I like that you’ve focused on the reflection. A little scroll crop to eliminate the light bits of mountain is an improvement to me. I think you’ve got some nice depth in the water, too, with the reflection breaking up and revealing the rocks and sand. Not sure the heavy dark of the rock works as well and some light dodging might reduce the visual heft there (the rest of the image is fairly light and evenly so for the most part). I personally like the breaks the tiny rocks provide in the water, but if they bug you, cloning them out should be easy.

The colors look natural to me and nothing seems oversaturated or weird. The color of the fog looks like it changes from left to right, becoming less pink and more neutrally white. With the cresting sun, that’s probably exactly how it looked. I had some issues with this in recent fog photos myself and in some I left it more noticeable and others I balanced it and made it all of a piece. Depends on your taste, but I like this as is. The peaks might be a tad over bright, but they seem realistic, too.

Tamar: My thoughts pretty much echo Kris although I don’t mind the small strip of lighted mountain on the top. I would make the small rocks in the reflection of the mountains go away. They grabbed my eye immediately and don’t add much to the scene IMO. One of my favorite places on the planet superbly rendered. >=))>

Thank you for your comments. Regarding the brightness on top, I didn’t want to crop it out as I think it adds to the picture. It was brighter and larger and I like the way it is. However, I do agree that the mountain reflection tips are too bright and so I darkened them a bit and I did add some light to the rock on the right bottom corner as suggested. Let me know if this looks better. Also I am posting my picture here but saw that I am supposed to put it ahead of the initial picture and wasn’t sure how to do that. So feedback on that technical aspect will also be appreciated. Thanks!

Tamar, the quality of the reflections is amazing. Both the big rock on the right and the clear look through the water to the lake bottom add interest to the view. I like that you’ve also got cloud reflection showing. One thing you can do when you make changes is to add the new version to your original post by editing the original and adding the new version along with a title or other description. That makes seeing the changes much easier since the viewer can jump back and forth between the larger views.

Thank you very much!