Fall in Colorado - Not the traditional fall image

We were in southern Colorado to photograph the beautiful fall colors and to be sure found many lovely scenes. But one morning I saw fog in the mountains about 20 miles away and headed for the opportunity. It was beautiful and I enjoyed finding different scenes in the fog and very cool mountain air.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Olympus EM1-X
40-150 f/2.8 with 1.4x
190mm
1/250, f/8 handheld

7 Likes

This is wonderful Keith! I like how the dead tree is close to the middle of the frame for my eye to focus on and the light and fog is just magic.

A wonderful mood created here. Beautiful.

I think this is a powerful image Keith. The golden luminosity is beautiful. I think you have the right amount of detail in the foreground.

BTW - Loved your article on Photography of Humming Birds,

1 Like

I like this one a lot. The yellow tone is just marveoulus. The fog isolate enough the dead tree that is very important.

Absolutely brilliant. I love the crippled tree in the centre, the subdues green of the other trees, the depth and simplicity the fog adds and the fact I first thought you had added some texture to the sky. Would really be interested in a monochrome version of this photograph. I’ll keep an eye out for your work.

Fantastic, Keith, truly stunning. The colour palette is gorgeous and I absolutely love how soft and subdued the image feels with everything softly rising from the bottom to the top of the frame. I often tend towards the blue end of the spectrum when working with early morning mist but here you’ve gone with yellow and it totally works. The image has a very Hudson River School feel to it.

A wonderful image Keith. The type of scene I love to see here in NZ… bush with mist or cloud drifting through. It never fails to induce a calm peacefulness and sort of makes you draw a deep breath when you see it. I did that when I first looked at your image. The detail of the foreground trees, the interest of the central dead or dying trunk, and the yellowish tones are just great. Cheers.

So true! Living in the U.S. Desert Southwest, I don’t often have the chance to photograph fog. Every chance I get is special and this opportunity was really nice, and very calming as you said.

Hey Keith, I really think you nailed this photo because of two things number one tonal contrast going from front to back with darker towns in the front and lighter towns in the back and then number to the separation of the layers with the fog is Paramount in a composition like this because without it, the photo would look completely flat so great job on a great photo.

1 Like

Wow, Keith. Just now seeing this one. That is wonderful atmospheric conditions you were presented with. The dead tree is perfectly placed in the composition and the light fall off from back to front is terrific. The warm tones are working perfectly for me. I also love the highlights on the foreground pine needles. This is a special image Keith. Glad you saw this one.

Thanks @David_Haynes . Sometimes many elements seem to come together and create something that is a bit special. This was one of those occasions. I have a few other images of this before the light/fog changed enough that it just didn’t work. It was fun to see and try to capture.

What an atmosphere. And then that one dead tree that makes it all even more special. Beautiful!
Grt, Ingrid.