Fall Lilies

I originally was trying to make photographs of this small lake on a larger scale but could not achieve what I was attempting. The real show was this smaller intimate view of these fall lilies with their underwater stems.
Trying out Sony RX100 VII on a tripod

Specific Feedback Requested

composition and processing, all comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
72mm f/11 1/25 sec iso 100, Sony RX100 7, tripod

2 Likes

I’m glad you turned your attention inward. I love this image. It’s not your usual lily pad image but really more of an abstract. What attracts me the most is the warped sense of space you have here. The round shapes should be elliptical when seen from a side yet the back ones are rounder than the front ones and some seem to be stretched to the side. It’s like a Cezanne still color painting of fruits. Lots of curved lines going all of which ways. Lots of energy in this image. And there is plenty of texture. Excellent image! If the workshop taught you this then it was worth the price. But I suspect this came from you.

This is a great image, Mario! Your search to find the Image out of your original framing for sure is successful. The shapes of the lillies and their stems make up a very pleasing pattern. In addition, the colors are great and stand out very good against the black water surface.

I love the variation in shapes and detail in the leaves, and the underwater stems. As @Igor_Doncov pointed out, the shapes make it look like the surface is 3D. Maybe some of it is lens distortion? Or you found a new example of Einstein’s gravitational lenses. :wink:

Thank you all for comments @Igor_Doncov @Ola_Jovall @Diane_Miller . The pads are actually 2-3 inches in diameter and of varying natural sizes and shapes so no lens effects going on.

I did learn a lot at the workshop but you are correct it came from me.

Excellent. I love chiaroscuro here is wonderful where what is hidden is every bit as important as what is revealed. Beautifully composed. The colours are subtle and it has a nice, soft almost film like quality. Well done.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind comments.

What a wonderful nature abstract Mario. I like this a lot.

1 Like

I like the bold colors and strong contrast. It makes a strong statement that enhances the abstract approach to this image. My only nit is that I wish for slightly more breathing room at the bottom , but I know first hand it is very difficult to see and control these things in the field, there are almost always distractions lurking just beyond the frame edges in these pattern type shots.

Thank you ed for the comments. Yes lurking distractions below. I also wish I could have eliminated the partial lilly on top but couldn’t without compromising the main composition.