Fall Meets Spring

Just came across these two in the woods this afternoon, as the sloping sunlight hit behind them.

Specific Feedback Requested

It was not possible to get everything in focus; and there was a large pine trunk beyond, as well as many branches , which meant I could not get the smooth background I wanted. So in PS I selected leaf, catkins and branch seperately for some tonal adjustments and sharpening. Then using Select-Inverse I treated the BG to underexposure. It was already a messy mix of greys, so I dialled this right down. Any comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500 + 105 f2.8 macro, f5, 1/320, ISO 320, hand-held

1 Like

Dialing it all the way down was the right choice given the circumstances. It makes the reason you stopped much more evident. I would have stopped, too. This kind of scene gets me every time. Nicely done. Maybe a tad more exposure on the leaf wouldn’t go amiss.

So glad you saw the potential in this small scene. The lighting on the leaf and catkins is wonderful and your processing of the background works nicely. Well done!

The branch has a bud , catkins and a withered leaf. The backlighted leave has a last shine. It shows ”cycle of rebirth” You caught a nice a scene. Very beautiful!

Beautiful image with a metaphor for the one that is dying, one that is mature and the one that is just being born! Dof works very well. backlighting makes this special. Background very well handled. A very nice catch and presented well.

Mike: A really nice find and a fine capture and presentation. Well crafted image. >=))>