Fallen Trees

This scene has a lot going on. It works for me, but I am curious if others find it too busy. Any other input is always welcome. This is along the same creek in Idaho as my prior post.

D810, 70-200mm

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

It is a little busy, but I like scene. The diagonal fallen logs help tie things together, and that arcing branch adds some interesting tension. You might consider adjusting the brightness of the near log, so that more focus is on the areas above it. The color and saturation look good to me.
-P

Harley, I think the color, contrast and saturation look great. But unlike your previous post from this creek, in this image there are just too many strong lines going in too many directions for me. I think it’s having strong horizontal and vertical lines in a cross shape that doesn’t really work for me. It will be interesting to see if Igor will find another “scene within a scene” on this image, he did such a good job on the previous one.

Yeah Harley, you definitely have lots going on here. All that deadfall makes it look like an ancient forgotten cache for giant beavers :grin: What fascinates me though are all the underwater details. The clarity of the water is really remarkable, made even more fascinating by the reflections in the mirror surface. Makes me want to zoom in for some abstract options. Overall it’s pretty cool.

Harley, I love the colors and water in this scene, as Bill mentioned. The one element that I can’t get past is the tree in the center and it’s reflection. The rest works well for me.

Harley,

Yeah, lots going on, but I like it too. Like some other comments, the color/sat and processing looks good. I would also agree about the brightness of the log. The top is pretty much washed out and might require the Harley texture cloning technique… :thinking: Of course that may be a bit tedious and perhaps not worth it.

I’m quite fascinated by the squiggly snag in the middle. That’s cool! Too bad you didn’t have your waders… :wink:

I also agree with Bill on the underwater details. There is a lot going on. If anything, perhaps a crop to remove the curved, outward-facing snags on the right might reduce the conflicts in the lines.

Definitely an image that keeps the eye looking around.

Lon

In such a cluttered, busy high texture scene such as this I do my best to find patterns or a rhythm of some sort to frame. Symmetry, repeated patterns, diagonals etc. I also find pieces that can be dominant in the scene and apply standard compositional practices to them, such as not centering a tree front and center.

I see that cool arched tree on the right and would like to see more of it in the frame. By bringing it to the left in the frame it would then offset and balance the log that’s in the center of the fame. Of course this is something that must be done in the field.

That being said, this is an excellent effort for such a complex and difficult scene. Nice work Harley!!! :slight_smile:

A lot to look at here and the colors and central tangled branch is nice.
I think the diagonal log is distracting, I would remove or darken.

The Medea looking branch in the center with it’s reflection is fascinating. I could see a fine comp with just that. However, in this composition it’s the object that least belongs in my opinion.

I agree that the water and reflections are wonderful. I also agree in burning down all the logs.

It is somewhat busy but I don’t find it overly so. You do have some interesting patterns with the fallen timber and some great reflections. As others have pointed out, I would burn down the brightness in the logs. I also think some cropping can tighten up the composition further. I would experiment with cropping the right to remove that bowed trunk (I don’t think it adds anything) and some off the top to a little above the highest grasses on the left.