New Growth

I found this great area along a creek in Idaho that had a lot of really colorful growth. The light was overcast and I had a lot of time to wander. There was a lot of “stuff” on the ground, which made composing fun and challenging.

I would love to hear your thoughts on any aspect of the image, creative or technical.

D810, 70-200mm

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

What great color! I love the splashes of yellow, and the little fir. The weathered logs add nice tension, and wonderful counterpoint to the new growth. You might consider cloning the dark trunk in the upper right corner, but otherwise, this is real nice, Harley.
-P

Harley, in the landscape critique section we frequently talk about dealing with the “chaos” in woodland scenes. I love this composition, it’s a masterful job of taming the chaos, and imposing some structure on this scene. The color of the ground cover is simply marvelous too. My only suggestion for improvement would be to burn down the log in the lower right corner, it looks a little hot on my monitor. Very nice work…

Thanks, Ed. I appreciate the comments and excellent suggestion. It looks better burned down.

What a great find, Harley. The crisscrossing timbers nicely framing the small pine. and the undergrowth colors are gorgeous. I would also have suggested burning down the bright areas of the timbers but looks like you’ve got that worked. Minor stuff but playing with the comp. I think just taking a smidge off the top to where that small diameter timber intersects the upper right corner so it is similar to the lower right corner seems to tighten the strong lines further to my eye.

Love this Harley! Kudos for seeing and crafting this. Just a great job combing the lines and angles of the old weathered logs against the wide variet of colors of the autumn undergrowth. Oh, then to have a nice little sapling to anchor the whole scene… This is just wonderfully seen and captured.

Ok, agree with burning down the lower log as it extends to the right. Also, and opposite, you might consider dodging or otherwise raising the luminosity of the dark trunk, UR. Given the diffused even light, I would hope that drunk would be a little lighter. Of course it was probably naturally dark (fire some years back?) but still even as a dark item, it does draw the eye. But that, is being picky.

Love this.

Alternative comp that utilizes the logs better. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Igor, I like what you did with this alternate version. it has a lot of impact, even though it shows less of the ground cover color.

That is a nice alternative crop suggestion. The scene within the scene.