Feeding Time

More than half the birds I am seeing in the last week have been juveniles. I think one of these is a parent but I’m not sure which one. For the first time today, I saw a juvenile Mourning Dove but didn’t have my camera with me. These Chestnut Back Chickadees are really cute.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any.
My only concern is the size of the perch but the birds picked it. I do have some large birds that will occasionally land on this perch that I have in my feeding set up area.

Technical Details

ISO 2000, 200 to 600 at 600 mm, F6 .3, 2000th, about 70% of full frame, Sony A1, minimal processing

What a great feeding image, David. Great catch!

This is really lovely, David. There’s something about feeding activity between parents and chicks, or even male and female, that is heart-warming. The detail is awesome, as is the look of their beaks in the open position. Great!

David, I love everything about this image! That perch is really nice, and how the bird on the left (I would guess is the adult) has one foot on a knotty place on the limb which I really love. Excellent details and a nice smooth BG. Perfect, in my opinion. :+1: :+1:

I echo @David_Bostock @Shirley_Freeman @Mark_Muller comments. Excellent is all respects. While not very knowledgeable about birds, it looks like one almost worn out parent on the left and a well-fed juvenile on the right.

1 Like

Excellent, David. Great action and beautifully captured. The one on the right would be the juvenile. Most juveniles have the pronounced bare skin at the base of the beak that allow them to open wider. In most birds it’s yellow, but in Pine Siskins it’s red which makes them look strange.

Captured at just the right moment, David. Feeding behavior is always fun, and you have all the techs just right. Very nice.

Hi David
Very cute Chickadees, I think the lower one is the juvenile. The interaction is great and the detail on the Chickadees spot on. The perch is not a problem.
Peter

Great story - well captured!

Great capture, David! I love the interaction plus the colors and details are superb! It’s especially nice when viewed large as the details are impressive! I’m pretty sure the bird on the left is an exhausted adult. We have a lot of these Chestnut Backed Chickadees and they tend to get more colorful as they mature.