Feeding time

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I’m curious as to whether this prompts a reaction, even if the reaction is dislike.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Earlier this week, my wife and I were hiking and a cardinal was kind enough to perch not far away. I took a number of photos. Just for the heck of it, I combined this shot of the cardinal with a photo of cactus. I liked it better than the straight photo.

Technical Details

ISO 100, 400 mm, f/5.6, 1/320th.

Specific Feedback

This was obviously “Photoshopped.” They all are but sometimes it isn’t so obvious. I’m wondering if that prompts viewer resistance.

Don, interesting composite. I’m trying to figure out what the background subject is. I think you did a pretty good job selecting the cardinal. I believe the bird is resting on a cactus which looks pretty cool.

Thanks for the comment, Alfredo. The bird is resting on an agave. I had the impression that he was eating it but I don’t know what cardinals eat.