Female Lesser Scaup

From the same excursion as the wren I posted a few days ago. We actually had almost too much sun, surprising for January as our latitude usually lets one shoot all day this time of year.

Specific Feedback Requested

The patterns/reflections in the water were quite subtle, but I really liked them, so I deliberately kept this composition loose. I did play with emphasizing the patterns more, but didn’t like the effect as all, so I just ended up leaving the water alone.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A6500, FE200-600 @ 600 mm, beanbag on car window, f/10 (left over from the previous subject and I forgot to change it), 1/400, iso 640, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 5173x3537. Feather enhancement and other minor adjustments to the duck. Taken at 11:18 am on January 14th.

Lovely photo of the Scaup, Dennis. Nice simple composition, lovely flat water and complimentary reflection. I am not sure if it works for you but i might consider a pano crop to take some off the top. Soft light and the f10 worked out all right.

Excellent work, Dennis. When I enlarge it, the water - particularly the small wake - has a somewhat calming effect on me which I didn’t expect.

Hi Dennis
The Scaup has great detail, color, eye contact and reflection. For some on my iMac monitor the water has a moray effect in it?
I like the overall effect of this photograph.
Peter

Hi Dennis,

One of your best duck shots. I like the lighting, color, details, and comp. Well done…Jim