Female Western Bluebird

We started putting out mealworms for the Bluebirds that nest here a few days ago. We have done this in the past, to train them in case of a bad winter that requires supplemental feeding. However, I had an acquaintance send me an article recently on a study showing strongly reduced parasite loads on fledglings of Eastern Bluebirds that had supplemental feeding, so there appears to be an added benefit. Since we’re on the fringes of the habitat area for this species, a little extra help can be very beneficial. Of course, this program also has the benefit of bringing them within easy range of my camera. Interestingly, the male lets me set up about 10 feet closer than the female (at least this early in the season). When there are babies to feed, I could probably put the mealworms on my hat and get customers.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. No cloning on this. Just cropping and normal adjustments.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, Sony FE200-600 @ 600 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/320, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image and feather texture enhancement with Topaz Detail 3. Cropped to 5096x3592. Taken at 7:56 this morning.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Nice example of getting it right!

Good exposure with details in the right place. The background is blurred allowing that nice separation

Nice to see the eye, tail and feet

With time I am sure you will capture some good activity

Thanks for sharing

A very pleasing composition, Dennis. I like the perch with the moss and how the bluebird stands out against the background. Question on your gear: Do you feel that the focus acquisition is faster with the Sony than the Canon 7DII?

@Allen_Brooks re focus acquisition. I’m really not sure, Allen. The physical response seems faster and I love the fact that the lens stays the same length regardless of zoom. However, it feels to me as if there’s even more tendency to lock onto the wrong thing with the Sony system-but I am using an expanded focus point instead of a very small one. I did run across a mention somewhere that there is a situation (I think it was with the TC added) that if you do a burst, the Sony system uses the initial focal point rather than refocusing during the burst-even if you’re holding the focus button down. The AF on the Sony is very good though. As I’m getting used to it, the percentage of images in focus is becoming higher than with the 7DII and 150-600. The big advantage to me of the Sony is being able to use it with the 1.4 TC and still get excellent image quality. I tried both the Canon and Sigma converters with the 150-600 and didn’t like the results with either of them. That said, there is a difference in the AF system of the a6500 above f/8, but it still works. I understand that the a7Riv is capable of using all AF points up to f/11 which would be really cool, but my toy fund is pretty empty right now.

Nice and spacious setting for this beauty. The perch matches the BG nicely. Well done. Cheers, Hans

Thanks for the detailed reply, Dennis (@Dennis_Plank), I’m looking for a new toy, but I have to somehow justify it. Better autofocus would be a factor.

Ticked a lot of boxes with this one. Nice perch, dandy bg, excellent focus, side view with lots of bird in focus, and a catch light. Also some nice complimentary colors to boot.
The soft colors are particularly nice. I seem at times to try to make the colors pop a bit too much. Very natural here.