Fence in the dune

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this fence mostly buried in the sand dune it was supposed to be protecting. It was mid to late morning so the shadows weren’t all that long but I liked the curve.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback would be appreciated, but I would appreciate feedback on composition and if the point of view was effective

Technical Details

Canon EOS R, Canon 100-400 f/r.5/5.6 EF lens f/8 1/1600 sec, ISO 200

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I like this one, Hali. Maybe I’d have tried for some more detail in the sand, at least in the foreground and then fading as the depth of field does. I also like that you categorize yourself as an omnivore. I think your right recording whatever pleases you and not limit yourself to one genre. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Wonderful!!! I love the shallow DOF and the shadow on the rolling sand. I think if the sun had been lower the shadow wouldn’t be as fitting. The “shorter” shadow emphasizes the height of the fence, as does the view almost straight down the fence line. I love the dancing rhythm of the fence as posts!

I think this is so cool, I hate to even make any suggestions, but two thoughts come to mind. I think it would be effective to lower the contrast on the top two posts, and a little bit less on the third from the top. I also wonder about having a bit more canvas top and bottom, but I’m not sure it would be better or not.

Omnivore!! Perfect! I’ll eat anything that won’t eat me first and shoot anything that won’t shoot back.

1 Like

Overall, I find this image very striking and quite enjoyed studying it! In particular the contrast of shade and shadow on the brightly lit sand, but without going too far toward the dark side. There is a lot of wonderful texture to the wood. The square crop really emphasizes the overall composition and the geometry of the horizontal shadow and vertical post(s). The S curve of the fence pickets leading the eye into the distance is wonderful.

I think my only wish would be for a little bit more DOF. At f8, only the first post and a few of the pickets are in focus, which puts all of the emphasis in the center. The falloff to the second post and those beyond is very abrupt. The focal length wasn’t indicated but the lens is a 100-400 so f8 is still quite shallow. I’d be curious to see what this might have looked like at f11 or possibly even f16, to have the right side pickets and second post a little bit more in focus (if not completely)?

1 Like

Simple and beautiful tone in this image !!! I love the depth of field choice !!!
Very cool.

Thank you so much, @holgermischke @Diane_Miller @Gill_Vanderlip @kevin_dobo , I apologize for the delay in thanking you, I’ve had some health issues and haven’t been doing much. I really appreciate your kind comments. I will look at doing some reprocessing and see how it looks, the ideas are very appealing. I will also keep in mind the deeper depth of field next time I’m out and shooting these. Thank you again.

Good to see your response, Hali – I wish you the best with recovery! I look forward to seeing your tweaks – this is a very special image and I think just a bit more tonal work can make it even more special.