Firm attachment

Image Description

A gorgeous little collection of lichens on a boulder on the beach at Split Rock on Lake Superior. The big foliose formation is a type of rockshield and the orange and blue crustose could be any number of species. No problem finding plenty of subjects while waiting for sunset.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

So it’s just a spray of lichen, but I did my best to present it artistically and with true-to-life texture and colors. Just another little world under our noses.

Technical Details

Tripod, or possibly Platypod
Single image

Lr for the square crop and a tiny rotation. Masking to bring out real colors and textures and keep the edges from being too light. Combination of brushes and intersections with colors and luminance values, and for the main structure an object selection worked well to isolate it. I’m enjoying the range of possibilities with the updated Lr masking.

1 Like

Kris, you do so well at seeing and capturing lichens, and this is no exception. Such nice color and texture in this. The colors look good and this is artistic in my book. I did buy one of those Playpod’s after seeing a photo of your setup sometime back. I haven’t had a chance to use it, but I believe it will even work with my gimbal head for down low bird photography at the beach. Nice shot here!

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman - I am a bit of an obsessive when it comes to lichens. They’re just so intricate and mysterious in some ways. No doubt I’ll be doing more and more when the snow melts. If it ever melts. Low 30s right now so not too much going on even with full sun.

1 Like

Wow, that sounds cold! It is colder up where we have the camper, so even though I enjoy that area a lot, I doubt I will ever move back up that way. I am spoiled with the warmer weather here (72 right now), but I don’t care for how hot the summers are getting though. I might have to become a snowbird one day! :grinning:

Lovely colors and shapes here – the big half moon and all the little squiggly ones. Actually kinda astrophotography-ish. The rock texture is a very nice supporting actor.

Eh, it’s all what you’re used to, right? I walked to the mailbox (about a mile round trip) and it wasn’t bad. Mid 30s and breezy. Sunny. Right now it’s 18. Perfect cross country skiing temps, but it will warm up. The longer I live here, the less tolerance I have for heat. Luckily it doesn’t hit over 80 more than a few weeks and sometimes only a few times in that period. Plus not too humid so it’s nice. Just wish that period was a little longer. Summer is the nicest month in Wisconsin.

Thanks @Diane_Miller - I’m happy with the 1/2 moon imagery - it looks like a brain to me. A brain in space. LOL. The rocks on the shoreline here were fairly festooned with lichens and so I was happy to wait for sunset.