Lichen + RP

This is from November in a part of The Dells area just north of Prescott, AZ. It is a lovely area of granite formations. The light was sunny midday and attempts to get wider views were not successful, but I found this patch of lichen that appealed to me.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 at 150, f/9, 1/200 sec, ISO 2500, handheld. Shadows and Highlights in LR and into PS for a little edge cleanup.

I tried a new (to me) trick on this image:
I did a B/W adjustment layer on top of the stack in PS and moved sliders to give pleasing contrast and tonal separation, then put that layer in Luminosity mode. Toggling it off/on showed a nice improvement in color separation. With it back on but still in Luminosity mode, I tweaked the sliders further and got still better results. The underlying PS image with this layer turned off is shown above for comparison.

Now I am questioning if I could have gotten the same result by playing with the HSL sliders in the raw conversion. Will try to look at that possibility today.

With the B/W layer turned off:

And the adjusted raw file as I opened it in PS – taken in deep shade: I undoubtedly could have gone further with raw adjustments.

And now a fix for the UL corner:

I recognize that wall! What an interesting technique and one I’ve never heard of, but since I’m so new to Photoshop that’s no wonder. I like the result, particularly in the pale greeny-blue patches. Much better than the shade version. I think I have a couple of close ups of one or two of those bits. Will have to dig them up.

This is about the only one I like of the several patches of lichen we found. I’d love to see what you got (and processed)!

Diane: Interesting technique with the BW layer providing some nice pop. It’s pretty amazing what can be done with color in processing. This reminds me of some of the results Tony Kuyper used to get with relatively nondescript rock formations transformed into amazing color displays. Superbly crafted image. >=))>

The formation to the far right looks like a baby plesiosaur!

@Kris_Smith, I hadn’t noticed that! Sure does look like a baby something! The UL corner was driving me nuts so I did a crop and some Hue-Sat work on it. Posted above.

Diane, this is a fine look at these lichen and thier host rock. The colors in the original look quite natural.

Diane, I am coming in late on this one. Very nice capture.

Another image with wonderful colors, textures, and composition. I like this one. I think the saturation is fine.