First light, last fall color

This rock is the endpoint of one of my favorite hikes. My goal next year is to climb this rock and sit on the top of it (like the bird on top of the rock if you can see it in the photo). I love getting to this point at sunrise and watching the light change as the sun comes up. This was my last hike this year before the aspen trees lost their color. I like the subtle clouds in the sky and the splash of highlighted aspens that compliment the sunlit rock faces.

Specific Feedback Requested

I love feedback of all kinds

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7r iii, ISO 100, 1/10 sec, f/11, Sony 70-300 Lens at 300mm
Minimal processing in Capture One - added light to naturally highlighted trees and rock faces.

1 Like

A marvelous reward for your efforts! Getting up there will be work, too, but probably worth it. I really like the way you’ve framed the rock with the trees and agree about the kiss of light in the aspens being pretty magical. You could go two ways with the (firs?) trees lower down - emphasize the highlights there, but in a less intense way than the sun is doing above. Using a combination of luminosity masking and dodging should do it. Or you could crop the lowest trees and see if that keeps our eyes up top. It all depends on what you want us to look at. Personally I like the lower trees and think they add to the story of the place (maybe just slice off a bit to remove the little white bit coming in in the LLC). You could also experiment with upping the green luminosity a bit.

The strong triangle of rock and trees looks good, Kelly. The touch of sun on the peak matches the colors well with the Aspens, while the clouds add interest in the sky.

Kris,
Thanks for taking the time to offer suggestions. I tried your ideas and I think it helped this photo a bunch. The edits help transform the photo to more how I felt and how it looked when I wandered up there. The edits help create depth to the photo as well. I realize it isn’t a stellar photo to start with, but it is a very special place to me and my family and worth a bit of effort to make the photo better.

Wonderful place to hike, well photographed! The RP is a nice improvement, really bringing out the light.

You’re very welcome @kelly_cole - we are all here to learn and improve and feedback needs to be honest and in that spirit. I’m glad you liked the suggestions and I agree that you’ve made your image even better. You could clone out the little light bits of trees coming in at the bottom if you want. This makes me want to join you on that hike!