First light + repost

An image from several years ago. I had stayed a week in Norway to photograph autumn colors and was driving back to the airport. I got up early and had this view shortly after sunrise, so I stopped at the road side and shot a few images.

Pentax K10D, Pentax 4/16-45mm, 3 exposures to handle the contrast. Pano crop.

All comments welcome.

1 Like

For me the landscape looks so intriguing that I really want that big cloud out of there. A crop will do that, but some slices of the land with a longer lens would, too. The boulders and the plants (what I think might be bog cotton) and the overall rust colors are really interesting. I also see some haloing on the far horizon at the convergence of the sky and hills. Such a gorgeous open feeling though. I really need to get to Norway one of these days.

@Kris_Smith : For me, the sky was the reason to stop the car, get out and make these shots… So no, I’m not going to crop to get rid of that big cloud :grinning: , although I could cut off a slice at the top and make the frame even more pano. From the RAW file I cropped at the bottom, because some more boulders were blocking the view.
Yes, Norway is an interesting country. I spent only little time there and certainly want to return once. Autumn is a great time, it comes early (I think I was there around Sept. 20th or 25th) and by moving closer to or further away from the ocean, you can find the best places for autumn colors. Moving to higher grounds also brings you closer to winter, of course. So you need some luck, but you can give luck a helping hand. And next to autumn there are 3 more seasons …

1 Like

Totally understood about the clouds. Funny what takes us into a scene in 3D versus 2D and what lights up our individual imaginations.

Norway sounds wonderful. My husband’s grandparents on his mother’s side emigrated to Maine, USA from Norway and so he has an affinity for the place even though he’s never been.

Well, you already have an excuse to visit Norway with your husband, so you can start planning :wink:
As a stimulation, I did crop the image a bit at the top, not to completely remove the big cloud but to make a concession to your comment. I reprocessed the 3 exposures from scratch, the result is a bit different than the first post (different software, and I don’t keep my edits anyway). Hope you like it.

1 Like

Oh that’s such a sweeping landscape - so alive and full of stuff (for lack of a better word). Yeah, Norway … maybe once travel is feasible again we could make it a priority.