First Northern Hawk Owl

Comments on how what I could have done for a sharper photo.
Other than the use of a tripod instead of a monopod

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn) The light was dull gray. I used the EOS R, with the Sigma 150-600C and the Canon 1.4X III for a total length of 840mm. Used a monopod.

1/1000 @ F-9 ISO 1250

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Sounds like you went as far as you could with your gear in hand! It is always tough with birds, you almost always need or want more reach. I like the “look” the owl is giving you!

Others with more technical expertise I am sure will jump in but from my experience, your asking a lot of big zoom lens and then adding the TC but sometimes you have no choice and what you get is certainly worth a try and better than nothing. With that effective focal length, a super steady tripod would be a big help. Was the image cropped or is this the original view?

John: Well it is very cool to get a Northern Hawk Owl in the viewfinder. I’ve never done that! At least the bird turned and gave you a decent look back over the shoulder. The light clearly wasn’t optimal, but you couldn’t control that part.

Image quality looks like it has suffered. At 1/1000, I doubt it would have made much difference between a monopod and a tripod. I have not seen very good results using a 1.4x on the Sigma lens. I think you would have been better off not using the converter and leaving the bird smaller in the frame. When I look at the larger version of the image, there is little feather detail. Noise reduction? You didn’t say, but it looks like that as well as degradation in the lens combo.

Wonderful sighting and nice to have the owl look at you. I am note sure what you have done exactly, but I would start with the full image and be careful with sharpening a/o noise reduction… Cheers, Hans

Northern Hawk Owl!! Good for you. We had one thru here a few years ago and it was a gong show to get near it.
I like the look back pose.
I would agree that at that shutter speed monopod or tripod is not likely the issue. And it does not look like you have any motion blur.
It is hard to tell but is the right hand tree a bit sharper? And was the photo underexposed at all? A shot in the dark but does the camera have micro adjustment? I am not sure about mirrorless.
It does not look like operator error to me but something else.