Fish On #7 - Fish Onboard

An adult Bald Eagle caught a salmon at the Valdez Hatchery. This is one shot of a 14 shot sequence that I just posted in the Avian Showcase. There is a lot more information about the capture in that post if you’re interested. It’s actually one shot out of 111 original photos (~10 frames/sec for ~ 12 seconds).

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 448 mm, ISO-250, f/6.3, 1/4000, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Very nice moment. Love the wings up position and the clear view of the fish. Very nice.

All of the shots were great, Gary. I really enjoyed looking at them. A great capture, with wings spread, meal in claws, and ready to go dine. That fish sure put up a fight though.

Hi Gary,

Nice and sharp and that is a pretty good size salmon. I like this as presented

A clear, clean shot with nice details. I like the details in the eagle’s face.

Terry

Nice clean capture and cool extended wing pose Gary. Looks as though the eagle appreciated having the rock to help him haul his prize.

I can see why this one came to the critique forum, Gary. The pose of the eagle and the fish are just perfect-great composition. The detail is also very good. My only nit is that the head and tail of the eagle look rather gray on my screen. Beautiful image.

Well deserved WP. White plumage on head and tail could be a tad brighter but don’t appear grey on my monitor. There are 2 red dots on just below the head (trout blood?) and a diffuse black spot just above the line of rocks and below the right ( birds left) wingtip.Very minor but would be noticed on a print.

I’m not typically drawn to avian photography but this one really caught my eye. Yes, to everything everyone has already said about clarity, colour and composition. But what stands out for me is the eye and the ferocious determination I see in it. It always makes me laugh, though, when I see these amazing birds in the wild being chased off a meal by a seagull. A seagull! What’s the point of being an eagle if all it takes is a seagull to send you on your way. Sheesh!

Hi Gary
Valdez was the first place I saw a group of Bold Eagles. I played Army for two years up there. Nice work and a great place to live.
Pe ter