Fishhook Barrel

This one is from Sabino Canyon where there are a lot of bad-ass barrel cactuses. I’m working to extend my thorn-scape theme and don’t want to leave out this common species. Also trying to push my experimentation with sketch-o-graphs. Previously, everything was taken in shade or shadow. This one has a bit of sun on it. Not a lot, just a few late-day rays. I sort of like the sense of light and how it tapers off into shadows.

Specific Feedback Requested

Do the yellow thorns look too out of place?

Left this one on the “sketchy” side as it seemed to accentuate hair-like structures. Does it still look photographic enough?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
6 images focus-blended.

2 Likes

I really like the layout here…the composition and perspective. The lines leading my eye out of the darkness to the brighter point in the upper right works well. Beautiful and unique.

The fact that the sun is concentrated in the center adds a sense of warmth that radiates along with the structure of the cactus. I think putting it anywhere else wouldn’t work so nice seeing that potential. It still looks like a photograph, but a stylized one and that works. The yellow bits of thorns could be toned down, but it’s up to you.

Really nice composition Tony. I like the sunlit to shadow transition as well. Along with the lines of the cactus, it puts extra emphasis on the upper right. I think toning down those yellows would be helpful, they distract me a bit. I think this still looks pretty photographic. In fact, I had to look at it for a while before I started to notice the stylization.

Tony: I’m glad you didn’t convert this to B&W as I think the color palette really gives it impact. Marvelous subject superbly captured and presented. >=))>

Love the yellow thorns. Add interest and support leading lines.

Looks great, Tony. The yellows don’t bother me at all and the sketchy treatment isn’t really noticeable to me. Another excellent cactus image. No suggestions here.

One of my favorites from the series. The perspective you chose and the color range add interest for me. Keep them coming.

A very interesting image. For me it has an other world feel to it. The mass is collected in the nice warm light top right and then rushes out along the radiating lines getting larger as they get closer to the viewer. For a stationary subject it seems to have a lot of movement. I am guessing it was taken with some sort of wide angle lens.
I like it.

Hooray for Tony! It’s next to impossible to make an image of a fishhook cactus, and NOT overly highlight the fish hooks. Not only did you achieve the impossible, you did it is a beautifully subtle way with the shadow transition.

Your stylization ( sketch-o-graph) is delicately applied making it an important part of the overall feel of the image, but not forced. We’ll done.

pgw

Tony, I love it! Agree with Kristen on placement of the center of the cactus. Love the comp with leading lines. spines handled expertly. Color tones are subtle. Yellows don’t bother me. You couldn’t have brought all these nuances in B&W.