Flatiron Vista

What kind of Boulder photographer would I be if I didn’t capture a gratuitous Flatiron panorama? This was shot from the aptly named Flatiron Vista loop just as the sun was rising a week or so back, before the snow came. I was lucky to have just enough cloud cover to provide soft sunrise light and gorgeous colors in the sky.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’d like to print this image quite large, I’d be curious to hear if you’d suggest any further adjustments first. So far I’ve corrected a bit of vignetting and tried to squeeze a little bit of detail out of the tree on the right. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks!

Technical Details

Shot with a 6x17 view camera on Kodak Portra 400.

1 Like

Hey, great photo! I really think of vignette would be the way to go to bring more direction of the eye to the center of the frame. Other than that this is a phenomenal panorama shot! Well done. Can’t wait to see it printed bag if you post it on here!

Thank you David! I’ll definitely share the end result if I do get it printed.

Andrew, I always enjoy seeing a pano of the Flatirons from this location. The weather conditions and lighting provide never ending variations. Since you are from the Boulder area, I suggest you try to catch a morning with more dramatic clouds in the west. That actually does not happen very often at sunrise, when the east is clear. It’s a great long term project, as long as you are a morning person. :slight_smile:

I like your stated goal; panoramas always lose a bit when crunched to a computer screen and a large print would let this sing a bit more.

If you want the Flatirons to be the star, I could see subtly making them stand out a bit more with processing:

Very cool Panorama image, Andrew. And shot with a 6x17 view camera with Porta film. Outstanding!

Hi Andrew, and BTW, welcome to NPN
Personally, I don’t see anything that needs improvement, the colors of the clouds and the mountain firmly represent the presence of the morning sun and the colors behind the tree on the right looks good, it has the depth that I would expect to see and it has the clarity that an image like this should have.
It feels well balanced too.
Sorry, I’m a little late to the game but that’s me, a day late and a dollar short. :slight_smile:
You may have already printed this by now but there’s my 2 cents worth anyway.
I have seen this in person but it’s been a few years :slight_smile:

Great work!