Fleabane Feeder + Rework

Rework:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This skipper, the Golden Dart, often seems oversaturated to me when it’s fresh like this. But it wouldn’t be doing it justice to tone it down, especially when busy among the colors of the fleabane plants.

Specific Feedback

I centered the butterfly here as it’s more or less surrounded by blooms, but there are more flowers to the right (a bit oof), so it could be placed left of center. Or could I crop in closer?

Technical Details

D500 + 105mm macro 1/320 f9 ISO 1600

Cropped and adjusted tones in LR, Topaz Denoise, then further minor tonal adjustments in PS. Small sharpening with Noiseware at the end.


Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

  • Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Mike, a fine look at this skipper in his environment. I could see adding more on the right just to see how it looks. I think center is okay in this because the flowers are balancing it well. The colors look nice and you really got him sharp.

The centered composition works well here, Mike. Not knowing what the flowers on the right are like it’s hard to tell about the crop for sure, but with busy scenes like this it can be really tough to find a good crop line and the one you used works.

1 Like

Mike: Good capture of this little guy. Ours are very similar and really active so kudos to you getting off a good shot. This is an aggressive crop but the OOF flower on the left grabs my eye. The rest of the OOF flowers don’t bug me at all. Of course the crop makes this much more about the skipper than the environment but offered for your consideration. >=))>

1 Like

Thank you @Shirley_Freeman @Dennis_Plank - and @Bill_Fach, @Sandy_Richards-Brown: I’ve gone with the further cropping option as the butterfly is the main subject. Yes, I think that improves things a lot - many thanks! Rework above.

1 Like

I like the crop in the repost, Mike, but it feels a little left heavy to me. Maybe a touch of counterclockwise rotation and a slight shift to the right?

Oh yes, Mike. I really like the crop. Well done.