Flor-ice

Sony A700
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 200, 1/125 @ f11
I’ve entered this image in other challenges but it’s one of the few ice images I have. I know Mark has some fabulous ice abstracts so I’m trying to beat him to the punch. I went to a medical conference in Anaheim in October 2008 and decided to add a whirlwind three day side trip to Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite. On my last day I took the road across Yosemite through Tuolomne Meadows. I almost passed by this little creek but decided to investigate and was delighted to see these little flowers etched in the ice. A Flora guy like me can find subjects anywhere :wink:. Please view the large image. All comments welcome. >=))>

3 Likes

Wow, this is beautiful. I’ve never heard of flora ice before, but it is aptly named. The colors of the rocks under the water add to the flowery feel, and the straight lines make for an interesting comp. Great find for a flora moderator!

Bill, the ice flowers are lovely. They are also set off well by the warmly colored rocks below. Sure glad you stopped to investigate.

Bill, this is an enjoyable image. I can see the ice flowers so clearly. The out of focus rocks below just makes them stand out nicely. So many shapes, lines, textures in this image. A real delight! :+1: :+1:

The photo is amazing in the levels of depth that it reveals. At first glance it is a colorful abstract. Then it draws you in to see the rocks, the ice cracks, and finally the wonderful flowers! Love the contrast also - warm colors yet cold icy scene!

Clearly a wonderful photo. Seems quite impressionistic and abstract, but at the same time the ice flower are very detailed. Great capture.

Bill, I must admit that when I saw the small thumbnail, I am not too crazy about the image. But as I opened it full size, I was awestruck by it. Super beautiful.

Wow, beautiful, Bill! This is fascinating. Love the shapes, textures and sense of depth. Excellent!

Wow, this is very cool. I like the way you partitioned the frame with those straight features.

Bill–this one is awesome. Textures and colors make this a wonderful micro-abstract landscape. Well done :beers: …Jim

I recognize this from before and still love it, Bill! The fractal flowers are fascinating (especially in the large version) and the pastel earth tone colors of the rocks really add to the overall impact. Very nice and perfect for the theme!

Hard to add anything new. Well done.