Flor-Ice

Sony A700
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 200, 1/125 @ f11
I know Mark has some fabulous ice abstracts so I’m trying to beat him to the punch. I went to a medical conference in Anaheim in October 2008 and decided to add a whirlwind three day side trip to Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite. On my last day I took the road across Yosemite through Tuolomne Meadows. I almost passed by this little creek but decided to investigate and was delighted to see these little flowers etched in the ice. A Flora guy like me can find subjects anywhere :wink:. Please view the large image. All comments welcome. >=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Oh wow, Bill, this is spectacular! The colors, the shapes, the details, all of it is just really great. I find it amazing the shapes that we can see in the frozen water. The background of the pebbles are a nice addition, making this a wonderful abstract. :+1::+1:

Bill,

I’d say you’ve raised the bar pretty high for this challenge now! Those ice patterns are pretty spectacular - especially when opening the large view. What a great find and even better capture.

It almost always pays to simply stop and walk around. Glad you found this one!

Lon

Wow, this is very cool - literally and figuratively!

Bill, this is great, with a good mix of warm tones and all of those delightful ice flowers. I was trying to avoid either a reflection or ice abstract for my contribution, but given your challenge, I may change my mind…:grin:

Oh my, this is absolutely exquisite Bill. Ice patterns like this are usually seen with cool winter colors. To get this translucent ice with warm colors underneath is just so unique and delightful. Kudos on a wonderful image.

This photo is stunning!

Bill, another winner here with this image. The small snowflake looking ice patterns are amazing. A very fine scene that many might have walked right by…well done…:+1:

Amazing snowflake shapes in the ice and a beautiful colored background, Bill! Great job of capturing the details in the ice! Excellent pick for the challenge!