Florice

This is my favorite ice image but one of very few I’ve had the opportunity to make. Taken in Tuolomne Meadows in Yosemite NP in 2006. I spotted this little creek from the road and went over to investigate and was delighted to see these little florets in the ice. Not sure how they are formed but I found them intriguing. I may have a much more recent entry as Houston has been hit with some of the coldest temperatures in over 100 years and a few inches of snow. You northern folk can have this cold stuff. I’d rather sweat than shiver! All comments welcome.>=))>

3 Likes

This must be seen zoomed in, the delicate details are fabulous, Bill. I’m with you about freezing, it’s going down to 7 over here in the hill country. Certainly lot of opportunities for photographing icescapes. Beautiful image and very nicely done.

What a cool find! I’d like to see a crop of the lower left (inside those two bands of ice) with some additional clarity. Pretty sweet.

Nice capture. It looks like snowflakes on the ice.

@Bill_Fach - Wow. These florets are amazing - such tiny little flowers in the ice. I clearly need to slow down and do a better job of looking.

Wow! That’s beautiful! They remind me of snowflakes! I’ve lived in some places where it’s so dry and cold that the snowflakes stack up and you can still see there shapes! I’m really missing the snow this year, we had 1 small snowfall and it was gone in a day!
Great capture! Good thing you went to investigate!

Bill, I remember this shot. The crystal structures that look like snow flakes are amazing. The stones below add inviting colors.