Flotilla

This is a look at some freshwater pancake ice that formed on a wide section of a brook below a small waterfall. Pancake ice can form in a couple ways, depending on the conditions. It can happen when a thin layer of ice and slush forms over the water and freezes solid, but is broken up by waves or other movement in the water. The constant agitation causes the broken sections to rub together and create raised edges. Extremely turbulent waters can also form pancake ice when it’s very cold. When the water is too choppy to form a sheet of ice, little granules of ice find their way to one another and freeze together, forming rotating disks of pancake ice that bob around on the surface.

Most pancake ice is found in oceans, but the Great Lakes can get it, too, most famously Lake Michigan does. It was a treat to find it in southern New Hampshire.

Specific Feedback Requested

Nothing specific, but I’m open to impressions and ideas.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Can’t remember if I used a tripod or not.

pancake ice

Lr for all processing including a biggish crop to the most interesting and evenly lighted section. A little white balance adjustment. Lots of texture and clarity. Some brush work to even highlights.

@the.wire.smith
3 Likes

I’d be interested in seeing an even tighter crop, although that might not work at this angle, just to find more interesting sections. Also have you tried in the LR tone curve bringing down “lights” and slightly increasing “highlights?” I find playing with those two and bring more definition to the whitish parts of ice and snow in a way that even texture cannot. Have fun! And, I too am a huge fan of winter on Lake Michigan as I lived in Pentwater for a number of years and went to the beach almost daily.

This is my favorite of your recent ice posts. Really nice patterns and textures.

Wonderful combination of colors, shapes, and textures. Excellent abstract qualities.

Thanks @JohnSnell, @Harley_Goldman & @David_Schoen - I have played with the luminosity on this one and feel pretty good with it. More contrast might pick up more detail, but I don’ t want it too crunchy so I’ll have to proceed with caution.

@Kris_Smith - Thanks for all of your detailed information about the formation of the ice patterns, Kris. I live along the Mississippi and while I was out this morning I noticed some rounds almost like lily pads in one section, and also how ice crunches together in places, but I have no idea what any of it is called. Your image looks like a great illustration. It’s very interesting. I like the occasional bits of dark where the water shows through breaking up the white patterns.