Flowering field pea

I grow vegetables in my garden. Beans and peas are among the varieties that sometimes have pretty flowers. This is the flower of a field pea (I love to eat them, when they are young and still small).
Any comment is welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Pentax K5 with Sigma 2.8/70mm macro, f3.5, 1/1600s, ISO200.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Han: Marvelous light on the flower. At first I was not liking the OOF flower in the BG but it’s growing on me and is enough OOF to not be a major distraction but yet provide some context. Well seen and nicely captured.>=))>

1 Like

Thank you @Bill_Fach, for your comment. Interesting to read your opinion about the OOF flower in the lower left. I myself had to get used to the BG directly behind and above the flower. I have another image, where the OOF flower is less prominent and the BG is more uniform green. I finally decided to post this one, because I prefer the BG and I like the presence of the OOF flower. The flower isn’t open yet, there is no direct light on the flower and, as you said, it is enought OOF.

Nice composition, background and light. The presentation works as is, but my personal preference would be to eliminate the oof bud. Is a field pea the same as a sweet pea flower? Just curious.

I like the composition, Han, with the two main flowers set towards the edge of the frame - more so than might be customary, but I think validated by the presence of the oof flower, which balances their movement. Fine detail in the petals - a lovely image !

@Patricia_Brundage: I had to look up in Wikipedia what this plant (“kapucijner” in Dutch) is called in English. Maybe you know the field pea as marrowfat pea? The flower of a sweet pea is much paler, even white, compared with the field pea. The sweet pea that you eat is bright green, the field pea much darker green and grey/brown when dried.

@Ian_Wolfenden Thank you for your kind comment.

Nice composition and fine details on the flower. I am not certain about the oof bud, as it could be a distraction or a compositional element.

@ravi Thank you for your kind comment. The intention of the oof bud was to include it as a compositional element, but it is clear from the various reactions that not everyone agrees about the function. But that is what this forum is for :wink: