Fly by

![Fly by]

This is the same Great Blue Heron I posted on Jan 8. After it dropped down into the stream, I shot a few head shot and waited to see were the Blue would go (upstream or down). It turned around and popped up out of the stream and flew by me. I cranked the lens down to 244mm hoped for the best. I like these 3 full frame shots.

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7Dll, Sigma 150-600mm, F8, 1/1250, 244mm, ISO 400, -1EV. I adjusted the highlights, midtown and gamma in DXO PhotoLab 4.

Nice job of framing, Peter. I’ll bet he was moving past you very fast! Good detail and color. I particularly like #2.

Good that you didn’t clip any feet or wings! Like Terry, my favorite is #2. IQ looks good. In an ideal world, the bird would’ve been angled toward you rather than away.

Yes number 2 is the best. I would increase brightness by half to a full stop and if needed, a little desaturation.

Good job getting any shots of the heron as it blasted by you. And well done to get some with all of the bird in the frame. My preference would be #2 as well.

Hi Terry, Lule, David Schoen and Divid Leroy.
Thank for the comments. The GBH was about 10 to 15 feet in front me, with the sun directly at my back.
Peter

Nice flight shots, Peter, particularly number 2. I think I’d get rid of the out of focus sticks coming up from the bottom in the first and third images-they’re pretty distracting.

Hi Peter,

I like the second one the best–fits well in the frame and has fairly good wing position. It also has the cleanest surroundings compared to the other 2 photos. Well done…Jim