Flying Acorn

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I caught this gal inflight out in the backyard this morning. She was pretty close so the crop is a little tight but I’m happy to get all of the subject details.

Specific Feedback

Cropping okay?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/2500th, f 8.0, 345mm, ISO 5000, Photo AI, cropped to 2081 x 1585

Hi Dave, really something to get this bird in flight. The head sharpness looks pretty good so nice job on the capture. Love that stark eye. There are post processing artifacts on the lower part of the back wings and some weird noise right behind the wings. May want to have another look there.

Cropping looks good and what a catch! Great wing position - I love the “finger” shape of the primaries. The wing bars look excellent, too. She’s got places to go. Could you talk about what settings you used in Photo AI? I’m using the old siloed products and don’t often get a stubborn shot like this.

Nice catch, Dave. I do notice some of the artifacts that Allen was talking about. Just my personal preference, but I think a bit more canvas on the left would suit my taste better.

I usually go straight to Photo AI and make it do noise reduction and sharpening.

Really nice catch, Dave. Beautiful bird and nice downbeat wing position. I do see some of the artifacts that have been mentioned, and some noise at the largest size? This one is well worth another crack at the processing because it’s a terrific image.

Hi Dave
Great action and color detail. I always have question on framing a shot like this. (7/5, 5/4 or 16/9). The first two provide more head room and the last more room to fly into. When I guess the answer is to try each and go with what make you happy. As for the artifacts, an ISO of 5,000 and a 74% crop is a big ask. I used the 30 day trial version of Photo AI I didn’t like the artifacts it produced on this type of push.
The overall photograph is very nice and tell an interesting story.
Peter