Fog Sentinel

Edit Per Suggestions

I’ve been keeping an eye on this tree ever since the leaves stopped falling. Until now there has always been too many distracting elements in the background to make a good image. Thanks to some fog the other day. I was finally able to get a decent capture.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m pretty happy with the image, but I’ve been doing this less than 6 months, so I’m sure there are things I’m not even trained to see yet.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Camera: Fujifilm X-T3
Lens: Fujifilm 16-80mm f4

ISO: 80
Focal Length: 76.3 mm
Aperture: f/11
Shutter: 1/8 s.

All processing was done in Photoshop. The following features were utilized:

Spot Healing Brush
Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layers
Curves Adjustment Layers
Dodging and Burning
Gaussian Blur Filter
High Pass Filter
Camera Raw Filter

2 Likes

As others will tell you, this image oozes with mood. I like the dark to light gradient you have going from bottom to top. I think that adds to the expression. Most such images show an outline of a tree in fog but this added gradient adds a dimension and makes it less cliche. It also makes the image more somber.

Welcome to NPN Adam, this is an excellent first post !!!

I can see why you have been keeping an eye on this tree, it has a very unusual and interesting shape. I think it’s because the tree has an upward radial pattern in the top half, and a downward pointing radial pattern in it’s bottom half.

Overall, I think you did a good job with the processing here, I think you achieved just the right level of luminosity and amount of detail in the background trees. In looking at the smaller image, I initially thought the bottom was too dark in the lower right corner (LRC), but when looking at the larger version, you can see more detail there, and I do not think it is too dark.

My only suggested tweak would be to take a slight crop off the top edge to reduce negative space. But that is a matter of personal preference, I think your composition works fine as presented.

Welcome, Adam – you’ve found a great place to hang out! I love the sharpness of the tiny branches – they contrast so well with the soft BG elements. The BG has enough variability to be an interesting secondary element. I also love the lighter grasses in the LL corner, which lead my eye into the image. Good points made above.

One thing that pulls my eye a bit is the slightly lighter area in the BG trees on the left edge. If it were in from the edge with a wider composition it would add interest, but here it might be worth burning down very subtly. But that’s a very small point for a very pleasing image.

Adam, welcome to NPN and you are arriving with an excellent first post. I love the mood and great scene. I would agree with suggestions to take a little of the top and with Diane’s suggestion to burn the grasses to eliminate a bit of an eye magnet with the grasses. Both are minor and it is a really nice image.

Hah “oozes with mood”, I like it! Thanks for your encouraging words!

Thanks for the welcome Ed, and your kind words. I am going to play with the crop a bit and see how it goes.

Thank you Diane! I’m very happy to have found NPN. I was quite happy with the light grasses being there as well. I didn’t even notice the lighter area in the BG. I’ll grab my magic burn brush and take a pass at it.

Thanks for the welcome Harley. I really appreciate the feedback!

I updated the original post with the edit. I probably fiddled with it way too much, but I think I was able to tone down that left side a bit. Minor crop off of the top as well.

I think that this looks great! I love the toning and the fog creates are really nice mood and helps simplify the scene.

Welcome Adam! That repost looks spot on.

That is a wonderful tree, and both the fog and your processing have really built that “mood” that @Igor_Doncov describes. Well done.

Thanks Tom, much appreciated!

Thank you John! I really appreciate your feedback.