Foggy Marsh Grass ACMs w/ repost

ACM #1:

Revised #2:

Original #2:

#3:

#4:

Another image from day 4 of the Oregon coast trip with @John_Williams. All 4 of these images are from the marsh grass growing on the side of the road. Each image is from a different set of grass. They are so similar I decided to post them together.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome

Technical Details

The first 3 images: D850, 70-200 at 200 mm, 1/2 sec, f16, ISO 64 handheld
The 4th, taken a little later: D850, 70-200 at 180 mm, f11, 1/5th sec, ISO 64 handheld

I love these, Steve. the narrowness of the stripes make this a very unique ICM. Personally, I prefer the bolder colored ones, and the first and second are my favorites. I like the linearity and the little lilt of a curve in the first one. In the second, I like the near perfect lines. The last one, with the flame like lines, is interesting too, but it doesn’t strike a cord for me the same way.

I’ll be interested in what others think of these. Nice work.
ML

Steve,

Just love the colors here. One of the big reasons I enjoy the ICM technique is how colors are revealed!

All of these are great. I personally prefer #2 for the clean and uniform lines. Also like the contrast and color saturation. #1 is great too and would love this one, if it weren’t for #2! :slight_smile: #3 has a great mix of uniform lines and some diagonals that are nicely blended. This one has reduced contrast and doesn’t pop as well as the others.

#4 is of course different and work very well too. This really does more to give the viewer a clue as to what the original scene was. The contrast is striking and with this one I really like the highlight yellow/greens in the middle line that anchor the image nicely.

All a matter of personal preference, but I’ve been gravitating to the square crop on most ICM’s it seems. My favorite of yours here would be a square crop of the right half of #2. A couple things there, the dark strip is eliminated (not that it was bad or anything…) and also, IMHO, with the ICM’s or abstracts in general, there’s nothing that says the standard digital format has to be used…

I really like the motion and the shutter speed used. Well done.

Lon

Great series, Steve. Love all the colors and movement going on. Each image has it’s own personality, but must admit I prefer #4, just has more personality, at least for me. Nicely done.

This one is easy for me, Steve. #4 has such great texture, colors and lines that all work so well together. This one also has so much more life to it. It feels more alive to me. The others, while nice, scream ICM to me. Not in a bad way but so many ICM images seem to look so similar and the 4rth image is a very nice departure for me at least. This is all personal preference and as I said, I like all of them, but only 4 stands out to me.

2 Likes

Very nice series. I think #2 is the most straightforward and sometimes with such abstract photos the ones that feel the most instantly familiar are those that you gravitate towards for me that is the case here with the lines and colors feeling very clean and beautiful.

Awesome series Steve! Great colors in all of the images. I also prefer #2 for the consistent vertical motion and wonderful colors. I think it could be brightened just a touch. Well done!

Thank you @Marylynne_Diggs, @Lon_Overacker, @linda_mellor, @David_Haynes, @DvirBarkay and @Alfredo_Mora! I appreciate your kind comments. Lon and Alfredo, I updated #2 per your suggestions - square crop and made it brighter. It is posted at the top.

Hey Steve, all these are great, but that last one is truly unique. Awesome.