Foggy Morning Hike & recrop by Ed Lowe

About a month ago I rode my bike up to my favorite local hike and it was so foggy I could hardly see a few feet in front of me. And I realized I forgot to bring my wild animal buzzer, as mountain lions have been sighted in this area! Well it was kind of exciting…. It was really beautiful and still and quiet.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything, not sure if I’m capturing the fog right…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400, ISO 100, 142mm, f9, 1/200,
Slight adjustments in contrast and highlights brought up,

4 Likes

I like the solid straight trunks in contrast to the twisting and smaller diameter horizontal limbs on the trees. The fog nicely subdues the scene making me wonder what’s lurking behind the trees in the foreground. Great mood to this. I’m not sure I like the sticks poking in on the right side or not. They stand in stark contrast to everything else that’s soft but that same contrast could work as well. I also wonder about that URC with the large trunk intrusion and if this might be better off cropped just to the right of the small vertical trunk.
I wonder what this would look like in B&W although there isn’t a lot of contrast so it might just be flat. Looks like an interesting place Vanessa. Just remember to bring your noise maker next time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The small branches poking in from the right really get your attention. I kind of like that. They add to the creep factor of the image. The dark wedge in the urc, though, is a bit more of a bother.

1 Like

Well, I have to say that I am really enjoying the mood you captured here Vanessa! The stillness and quiet you experienced comes through beautifully in this image and puts the viewer right there with you. The fog has helped simplify what is probably a very chaotic scene. Like @David_Haynes and @Igor_Doncov the right side bothers me a little. For me the scene is all about the fog and those four wonderful trees along with that sweeping limb as it stretches across the left side of the frame.

That got me to thinking so I played around with some crops. I hope you don’t mind, but here is what I was thinking. This is just my opinion of course and the crop may be be your vision. I hope you were able to capture some more images from that morning that you can share.

2 Likes

I absolutely love the crop you did @Ed_Lowe ! I was seeing what @David_Haynes and @Igor_Doncov were saying about that right side and was going to try and crop it out but I like that you also seemed to crop from the top as well. Really neat format and feel like you have completed what I was trying to capture! Thanks so much on your help with that! And yes I do have a couple more images from that morning that I hope to upload too, hopefully sooner than later! Thanks again!

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback and comments on this @David_Haynes I really appreciate it! I was going to go back and try to crop it but @Ed_Lowe beat me to it and I’m glad because I don’t think I would have done it that way…