Foggy Plover Fence - Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This fence is used to protect snowy plover nesting grounds just South of Ventura along the coast.

Technical Details

Canon 7DMii, f45, 1/200 sec, iso 2000, 100-400/1.4TC at 140 mm.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Ed,
Looks like a typically gray Pacific Coast day. As a documentary image, this works well and is fitting for the Weekly challenge. It’s showing us what conservationists have done to protect this species during the nesting season.

It feels pretty flat to me. It could use a pop of contrast, but then again, if it’s purpose is simply to show this conservation practice, it works.
ML

Thanks for the recommendation @Marylynne_Diggs. I bumped it up just a bit. This really was mostly a documentary type photo about the conservation efforts. I didn’t want to lose too much of that May grey that we get down here this time of year, although, I have to say our May has been mostly sunny. I’ve been trying to get some of those grey early mornings, and been coming up short this month since this photo was taken.