food delivery

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These osprey were sitting on eggs while taking turns hunting and feeding… It was a great opportunity but finding a place to stand with a clean background was difficult.

Specific Feedback

I would like suggestions on distraction removal and cropping. I cropped the wings to bring the viewers focus to the bird’s head and the fish. Should I have left the whole bird in the frame?

Technical Details

Nikon Z9, 560mm, f/8,1/1250, ISO 1100.
Topaz DN and LRC basic adjustments.

The background cleanup looks pretty good, Dan. Cropping into the wings all depends on the story you’re trying to convey. If it’s all about the food, then cropping them is fine. In this case, I probably wouldn’t have chosen to do so, mainly because the other bird facing away is also emphasized and I get a somewhat confused message from it.

Detail in the incoming Osprey is excellent.

Hi Dan, Really fine capture here - love the food in the beak and great eye contact with the top bird - a powerful image. I think an intentional crop like this is fine if you want to show a more intimate story as Dennis indicates. It’s hard to draw conclusions though without seeing the full wing image also. I would add more room on the bottom if you have it so the virtual feet of the perched osprey are not cut off.