Forest Reflection + Repost

I found this pine tree with quite a bit of sap on it. So I was looking closely for a reflection and found this area.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any suggestions when I try this again

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D 180 Macro 1/40 ISO 1250 f/18 on a tripod, time delay 2 seconds

1 Like

A nice find, Dean. I think the square crop works well for this. Nice details in the sap. I’m wondering if you just darkened the two top droplets just a tad if you would bring out more details in them? There is bark or something in th ULC that seems oof. Not sure you can crop in anymore to remove it though.
Really an excellent shot as presented.

Wonderful! The sap is so clean and the reflections amazing!

I think you could crop the OOF bit in the UL. I wonder about some blur or lowering of contrast on the bark to the left of the sap, to reduce competition a bit.

Intriguing. You really have to look to see the reflections, but once you do you want to look even closer. Good eye! I agree with Diane Miller’s comments.

I made a few changes that were suggested by @Diane_Miller , @Shirley_Freeman , and @Chris_Baird . I do agree this helped this photo image

2 Likes

Dean, I like it. Very nicely done.

Nice image, Dean. The reworked one is excellent.

Dean: Your repost takes a good image and elevates it to excellent. Great find and a fine capture. >=))>

Dean, this looks good, with excellent details in the sap and the bark. Setting up and framing a shot like this is very challenging. You need to think about what your main subject is and then possibly what are secondary elements. For this, I say that the sap and it’s reflections are the main element, so on a retry, I look for a location where you have sharp shap in two areas of the frame…possibly this view, just moving the camera around to the right. An alternate view would be with a string of sap beads and surrounding bark nicely sharp. If the sharp areas don’t fill the frame, including oof areas (like in the upper right here) is fine, but you probably want to burn-in those areas somewhat, since brightness attracts attention. Lot’s of room to “play” with comp. and processing with a view like this.