Raindrops & repost

On a forest hike this morning it rained most of the time. The raindrops on the trees and branches were so beautiful reflecting the trees around them.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 1600
300mm
f/10
1/400

naturenessie

Vanessa, raindrops can be fun, but challenging as well. I think you did a nice job with this one. I think maybe if it was mine, I might would try toning down the brightness on the top, it seems to want to draw my eye from the subject and out of the image. I might would try to tone down or clone out the out of focus limb at the top left as well. You have a nice smooth complimentary background otherwise, and nice details in the branch and the drops.

1 Like

@Shirley_Freeman
Thanks Shirley for the feedback, I wasn’t able to get rid of all the brightness so I did a little “cloning” in a small part on top as well as that branch, how does it look?..

Vanessa, the top looks better to me, and I don’t see the limb in the top left corner, but for some reason now the limb the water drops are on looks darker, in fact, the whole image seems darker, like it is underexposed. Did you happen to change the overall exposure while trying to remove the brightness at the top?

@Shirley_Freeman I don’t have an app that allows for localized adjustments. So instead of trying to adjust the brightness I probably could just clone the bright part.

Oh, okay, that explains how it looked darker all over. It isn’t that big of a deal with the bright area at the top, I was just thinking a little toning down on that area would maybe improve the image. Cloning might work, I hadn’t thought about that. I am just glad that you are out shooting shots like this. It is how we learn to improve our photography even more. At this point in my life I am not able to go anywhere (caregiving for my husband) to shoot, so I am waiting for things to bloom here in the yard to attract bees and butterflies, etc., so I ca get out there and shoot. Looking forward to more of your work. Macro is so neat to work in, I think.

1 Like

Vanessa, this is a very good looking view of these drops and the branch that they’re on. Yes, burning in the very top would be good, but that’s a software issue. Another way that you could minimize distractions would be to get in a bit closer, that could reduce or eliminate the oof branch and remove the bright area at the top and to the right. I’m a firm believer in getting the best image that you can in the camera. That minimizes the software efforts after the fact.

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver yeah, I probably could’ve gone down to 70mm if the branch was close enough, then I could’ve gotten closer. I too, would rather get everything right in the camera!