Forest Reverie #1

And two new versions, thanks to @Alfredo_Mora!

The original post:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I usually find single swipes too boring and combine 2 or more with blending modes, but this one worked for me as a single capture. Shot a couple of weeks ago in the eastern Sierra. I must have shot 100 and only kept a handful. I’ll have to keep trying to channel the needed karma.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 4.19.19 PM

Very little done in LR; into PS for some straightening and distortion.

Diane, I feel the same way about my own single movements of the camera. I also prefer combining movements in post with blend modes. I quite like the form and lines in your image. It looks like you finished the movement with a little twist at the end.

One way to highlight the lines of your subject and make them stand out against the monochromatic yellows in the background is to try a monochrome treatment. This version I am sharing was edited in Snapseed. I also cropped down to a 4x5 aspect ration since I find the normal 2x3 vertical format too tall for my liking. The black and white version helps bring out the tonal relationships of the shapes. Let me know what you think.

Many thanks, @Alfredo_Mora – I thought I liked the color to keep a little sense of the forest, but I do think the B/W distills the essence better. And I like your crop – the dark area in the UR didn’t bother me until I saw your version – now it does and I agree it isn’t contributing anything.

1 Like

I have redone the image with @Alfredo_Mora’s crop and also done a B/W as he suggested. Both posted above, with many thanks for the improvements!

Both look great Diane!