Forever reaching

Version 1:

Version 2:

Stretching for the moon
Trying hard to touch the stars
Always beyond reach!

I made this image recently on an afternoon/evening walk in a local park. I’m posting two versions because I’m curious which one you prefer and why. Aside from the framing, they each look slightly different – that wasn’t intentional. I processed these in Nik Silver Efex and sadly, I neglected to save the adjustments/settings so that I could apply the same to both images.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

There are only three (main) elements in this image – the trees, the moon, and the clouds. My aim was to balance these so that they’re harmonious and play off of one another.

Technical Details

Tom , Version 1 is my favorite. The composition of the trees, the moon and the clouds speaks to me the most. Very well balanced.
And of course your Haiku fits version 1 the most.

Ben

Actually, Tom, there are four elements. you forgot the negative space of the sky. It’s as important as the other three. And that’s why I feel the first one is the better comp. It balances all elements and the negative space wonderfully cradles the moon. Normally, I would prefer landscape scenes, but this one works better vertically, in my opinion. Also B&W…my favorite! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I agree, I think that the top one does a better job of balancing the elements in the frame.

Very close call on this one Tom but I believe I prefer the top post only because those trees look like they are reaching for the moon more so than they do in the second version. I prefer the processing in the second version with the darker sky and slightly more contrast. I do love the second version as well but ever so slightly prefer the first comp.

Thank you @Ben_van_der_Sande , @David_Bostock , @Matt_Payne, and @David_Haynes for your comments!

Honestly I like the vertical version myself a lot more but I uploaded both because I wanted to see if other people felt differently. Seems though that we’re all in consensus. :slight_smile:

Nice image, Tom. I agree with others that #1 is my preference. You did a nice job on the B&W and it works well with the subject. Like your Haiku too and agree with Ben that it fits the 1st image better. Good job.

Tom,

Both are quite excellent. I think they both have great balance between all the elements (3 or 4…)

I’m trying hard to follow the consensus, but maybe I’ll be the contrarian and give the edge to the landscape version. Why? I like the longer presentation of the tree tops; and they’re not just level, but they gradually drop in height (not that this contributes to any balance, maybe just a little more dynamic with a sloping treeline.) With less tree tops showing, I think that enhances that notion of reaching to the moon - or the moon being out of reach. I don’t think you need to tall vertical for that message. I like the cloud more in #2, and the darker processing.

Not sure if I made the case for the second. And again, both are excellent. Excellent job conceiving this image.

Lon

Thank you for you comments @Donna_Callais and @Lon_Overacker I’m very grateful for them and for you taking the time. Lon, I’m also glad for your detailed justification on why you prefer the second version of this image because it’s always interesting to me to hear other point of view on the same topic. :slight_smile: