Haiku

Haiku #1 (and a colour version):

Haiku #2:

I was really inspired by @Ben_van_der_Sande 's recent image and haiku so I decided to try writing one for this image that I just recently processed. Even in high school, I’ve always liked haiku but I was never really good at writing them (or writing anything for that matter) so so not try again now in my forties. :slight_smile:

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Like a lot of my recent work, I’m not crazy about this one. I mean it’s ok, and maybe it will grow on me but I like the interplay of the big tree and the rock/hoodoo.

Technical Details

2 Likes

I like it very much. It’s original. I find it humorous on second viewing. I wonder if others will see it that way.

Tom,I love those haiku’s of you. As I said " just try". And you succeeded :grinning: It fits your images very well. Maybe it becomes a new thing on NPN . As more members gonna try it.
I think on an image it’s an extra bonus.

Ben

1 Like

@Igor_Doncov , thank you very much for your comment. I’m glad that you like it and even that you find it humorous! :slight_smile:

I guess that I’m just in a phase right now where none of my work blows me away, at least not right away. A lot of the images I’ve been working on lately I feel are decent (I don’t think I’d bother editing something that wasn’t), but they feel kind of ho-hum. Some of them grow on me the more time I spend looking at them and then I quite like them. This image is kind of like that. At first, I didn’t care for it much but kept at it because the rock was interesting and I liked the perceived interaction between it and the lone tall tree that kind of leans toward it. It was only after I decided to take the colour away that I started to like it more.

@Ben_van_der_Sande , thank you as well! Your advice to just try was so brilliant and I’m really glad that I did. I had so much fun writing those and now I want to do more. I’m actually contemplating turning this idea into a project of a series of images, each paired with a haiku. Maybe turned into an eBook or as Brooks Jensen likes to do, a chap book.

Tom,

Like this one quite a lot! Fun and a great juxtaposition between the two - and your first Haiku - love it! Good job! For sure, I’m much farther behind than you on writng something like this. I can blather on with the best of them, not so much with poetry…

Such a unique formation and kudos to you for seeing and framing a story out of it. No nits or suggestions.

Oh no, this just came to me…

“Whisper to me
Share this time before you go
I have a secret”

Is that a Haiku? I haven’t googled it yet.

Thanks for sharing Tom! Makes me think

2 Likes

I find this rather surreal. On first glance, it looked like a composite, with the hoodoo plopped down on some other landscape. It’s the way the light is playing on the hoodoo, I guess - it feels that way both in the b&w and color versions. Like Igor, I find it somewhat humorous.

As far as the story of the interplay of tree and rock, it feels like there might be too much space between them. If you moved right, it would bring them visually closer, but then you might lose that bit of hoodoo reaching out towards the tree. :woman_shrugging:

Oh, and I love your haiku, especially the first one.

I really love this, Tom. It’s very unique and it really looks like they are leaning in towards each other having a conversation, which your Haikus express. The first Haiku makes me sad and the second one makes me smile. They both are really good for different reasons and emotions.

@Lon_Overacker , @Bonnie_Lampley , and @Vanessa_Hill - thank you all for your comments and your kind words! :slight_smile:

Lon, your poem is great and I like it a lot.