Free Spirit(s)

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400, 1/5 @ f11
My wife bought some freesia for our garden but before she could plant them I took them into my bathroom “studio” and played around with high and low key presentations. Exposure was identical for both images. Any preference? All comments welcome.>=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice look at the freesia and put me down for the black background. Hard to go wrong with either, as white looks real fine too.

In this case, I prefer the black background, Bill. Even though the exposure was the same, I think the white background reflected a bit too much light and you ended up with some overexposure int he lighter areas of the upper petals with a corresponding loss of detail.

A lovely composition.

Another vote for the black background. It shows the details and is easier on the eyes. The white seems to decrease the detail and the flower blends into the background. I do like the composition and the subject.

Black for me! Amen and I say Amen.:sunglasses:

A tough one Bill. I am strongly attracted to dark images, so I would have instinctively gone for the dark background if this was my image. I think that it brings out the “inner light” in the flowers in a way that the high key image does not. Having said that, the high key image has an artistic feel - and elegance - that makes it a more unique image.

Surely the first version for me Bill. I love low saturated colors. In both versions the yellow seems too vivid for my.

Both work well for me, Bill - the black ground having the edge perhaps in showing up the petal textures to best advantage. Really like the comp - taking this with some buds unopened and some petals flowing down the stem makes for a nice effect.

Bill
I vote for the black version. For some reason though it makes the flowers look a tad darker and less translucent. Is that effect my eyes fooling me ? If not , would suggest trying to duplicate the way the flowers are colored in the white version. Not sure how that would look and it could look unnatural but if it were mine I would try it.
Having said that, I think both versions are superb. My commentary is a minor nit.
Kathy