Frost #1 w/Revision

Revised with increase in Whites:

Original:

Earlier this week I went to Eastern Oregon with a friend to photograph the Shaniko ghost town in snow and frost. It was an incredible morning with conditions at 20 degrees, light wind, and soft overcast sky. Couldn’t have asked for better conditions. I’m pretty happy with the images I came back with and will be posting some in Landscape and Non-Nature…hopefully not too much.

This is a shot of a tree with quite a bit of frost on it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

85mm, 1/160 sec @ f/8, ISO 125, Handheld.

5 Likes

This is very elegant David. It must be viewed large to experience the lacy detail of the frosted branches.

David, this is really quite a beautiful image. I really love the sweeping curved lines of the near black trunk and branches. They add so much elegance and grace to the image. Outstanding job!

An image that you can almost feel.
Thanks

I dig this comp a lot… i might be tempted to target the snow on the branches of the tree and brighten them a tad.

This feels well composed to me. Very nice contrast as well between the dark tones of the trunk and branches and the light tones of the snow and frost.

@Eva_McDermott, @Tom_Nevesely, @Steve_Rosendahl, @Matt_Payne, and @DeanRoyer thank you for the great comments and suggestions.

Matt, thanks for the suggestion, sometimes it’s hard to keep the Snow White and maintain detail. I’ve tweaked it and posted the revision above.

Thanks again,
David

Liked the original but re-post really snaps

Hi David,
I think what I like most about this is the nearly symmetric arch with the openings showing the overcast sky. It is inviting to me.
The only thing not inviting is the look of “cold” but that’s only because it’s really cold outside right now and I just came inside to warm up, It would be much more appealing if it were hot outside :smiley:

It always amazes me how much weight trees like this can handle without breaking.

I really like it and I’m looking forward to seeing your Shaniko Ghost Town images.
And I like the revised version better, it seems to do better at representing the snow and frost.

David,

It is visually overpowering. Almost to the point where I don’t know where to look. The dark trunk where it forks is however a visual anchor for me, but then I am “afraid” to let go if it as I will get lost. It is an interesting photograph.