FrostX

Revised version

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A magical yet treacherous frosty morning here in Eldo. I managed to stay upright long enough to catch a bit of light before it all socked in.

Specific Feedback

Any/all feedback appreciated. Thank you!

Technical Details

Canon EOS RP + EF100-400 @ 150 mm
0.3 s, f/11, ISO 100

1 Like

Wonderful!! I love the variation in the light on the frosty trees. Compelling composition! My only thought is a slight burn to the trees in the UL so they don’t pull my wandering eye out of the frame.

Diane, thanks for your feedback, especially for pointing out how the line of trees leads out of the frame! I will darken and repost when I am able.

Lovely image, Cathy! I agree with @Diane_Miller about burning those UL trees in just a teensy bit, to balance things.

Oh, that’s really cool Cathy. It’s an image that at first glance and thumbnail size isn’t striking. But, pausing to wander and appreciate it at full size is special. Well done!

I love the image Cathy specially the composition with the beautiful diagonal of white trees. For enhancing this diagonal I agree with Diane suggestion of tone down the trees on the right gully. At the first sight the very high lights in the trees of the diagonal hurted my eyes but in the large image the highlights are much better. Anyways in my modest opinion I would lower only the more high lights. Just to show my idea I have tried to select and lower the highest ligts with the mask TK7. If you agree I am sure that you can do this work much better tha me.

Hi Cathy! This is very nice! I really like the composition and the beautiful light. Excellent detail and color throughout. I like Giuseppe’s edit - subtle but effective. Well done!

Cathy: I’m late to this party but this is wonderful. At first glance it reminded me of a trip to Zion NP I had in the winter several years ago with similar scenes. I love the color palette and all the diagonal lines. Beautiful scene superbly composed, captured and presented. >=))>

@Diane_Miller @brenda_tharp @John_Williams @Giuseppe_Guadagno @Steve_Kennedy @Bill_Fach
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I have made my first lumenosity mask to try to burn the highlights! I think the image is better but my editing is still crude. I need to spend a lot more time with lumenosity masks but it’s good to be on the path at last.

1 Like

For my taste, the image itself doesn’t need to be darkened. Not even on the trees, and certainly not on the rocks. My suggestion was for the far UL corner, not the gully on the lower right. And I don’t think the darkening in the UL corner needs to extend down to the the taller tree – it is a very nice feature and deserves to stand out. It is a good eye-stopper, with just the trees to its left subdued. A TK7 mask on the entire image will cover far too many tones unless you really push the curve on it before incorporating it as a mask, to exclude everything but the brightest highlights. I would mask out everything but that UL corner to the left of the taller tree.

1 Like