Frostbite 2024

Illustration Mode

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We have a couple of mature Bird of Paradise plants. They do not like freezing temperatures. We have had three years in a row with sub- 20 degrees cold fronts coming through which devastate the leaves despite our efforts to cover them. The root systems remain viable but the plants then spend the next warm season regrowing new leaves. They don’t seem to want to flower unless they get a full year of uninterrupted growth and revitalization :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. The freeze does leave some interesting patterns and colors in the leaves so I try to get some images before Chrissy trims off the dead stuff. I shot this with my old reliable A77II and 200mm macro for high mag. The A77II also has an Illustration Mode that produces the effect in camera displayed in the second image. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400, 1/5 @ f22

2 Likes

Bill, I am sorry that the cold weather hit you all again and did damage to your Bird of Paradise plants. I know you all are disappointed. It looks like you made lemonade out of your lemons though by capturing these shots. I think I like the first one the best, but that is really neat that your camera can do the painted look in camera. I haven’t even looked to see if the R5 does anything like that. The first shot reminds me of an aerial view of a dirt road with trees and a rolling hill of a field of wheat (still green). That’s my imagination. Nicely done.

Very interesting image and a nice “illustration” from this gorgeous plant! I’m not sure I would have figured out it is a leaf. Too bad about the frost damage – they can be big plants (our older daughter has one that must be 6-7 ft tall and would be hard to protect, but they are in a frost-free area. I have a few small things that I try to protect from our occasional freezes, so far without success. Next time I’m going to try covering one with a space blanket (with another layer of lightweight insulation material over it) and put a heating pad under it with a long extension cord. That might be enough to keep it warm if I can gather up the base somehow.

Too bad about the freezes, Bill. You sure turned lemons into something better though. This is a really cool macro and could just as easily be put in the Abstract forum. It’s a really strong graphical image with lots of interesting texture and detail. Personally for this one, I like all the detail, so I prefer the original to the “illustrator” version, though it can be lots of fun to play.

I like the colors and the geometrical/abstract nature of the image. Well seen and photographed.