Frostbite + Repost

Last year the Valentines Day freeze almost killed our Bird of Paradise but this one recovered only to be afflicted with cold again this year. Fortunately for us it was nowhere near as bad as 2021 but several of the leaves were damaged. I liked the broad color spectrum from the frost damage. I also used my new Sony 70-200 GM lens and allowed it to AF with high speed frame rate to combat some windy conditions. The camera and lens performed admirably and I was pleasantly surprised by the large number of keepers. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7RIII
Sony 70-200 GM f2.8 @ 200mm w/26mm XT
ISO 1600, 1/20 @ f16

Bill, congrats on the new lens. Looks and sounds like it’s a winner. This image has a real uniqueness to it that makes it feel more and more abstract. Well done.

Definitely abstract, Bill. Am enjoying all of the colors, textures and the flow of the lines. Nicely done!

This may sound weird, but flipping the canvas horizontally seems to make this a better composition

Bill, it looks like you took lemons and made lemonade! Capturing this leaf after the freeze makes for a nice image. I love all the lines and shapes you captured in this. Congratulations on your new lens. I have a 70-200 mm for the Canon, and although I haven’t had a chance to use it much yet, I think it is an excellent lens. I hope you are very much satisfied with it. Looking forward to seeing more shots with it.

This is pretty sweet, Bill. The mix of fresh and withered, the lines and the texture. And all with a bit of new kit. I love my equivalent 70-200 and hope you’ll have many happy hours with yours. Keep on bringing us stuff like this.

I was very intrigued with the patterns and decided to play with it a little - just my 2 cents here

Karl: I like the tighter crop. Thanks for the suggestion. >=))>

Tony: I think you’re on to something and I agree with you. With it flipped the apparent movement is ascending left to right which gives it more dynamism IMO. In the west we read left to right so that directional movement through the frame seems more comfortable to most folks. I often flip images just to take advantage of that cultural bias but for some reason didn’t think of doing it here. Thanks for the reminder and suggestion. >=))>

Hi Bill, shouldn’t this be in the Avian category? Oh, wait, OK, ha ha. I like it no matter which way its turned and we read from left to right in the East too. Lighting is nice with loads of flowing detail and color gradations. Especially liking the green frond on the bottom which serves as a nice counterpoint to the main event. Well seen and presented.

Nice work, Bill. I was going to suggest flipping the image for the reason you stated, but see that Tony already suggested that.