Frosted

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken during a photo workshop in New Zealand. The stones were covered with heavy frost, which made walking hazardous. I set up my tripod and stayed glued to the spot. The main subject was Fan Tail Falls. I exhausted the fall compositions and sought something else to photograph while the remainder of the group wandered around with more agility than I possessed.

Specific Feedback

Thoughts on the composition and processing would be appreciated. This is a tiny portion of the picture I took. I am not sure if I posted this in the correct category.

Technical Details

Sony a7iv at 75 mm. ISO 100, f/11, 1/8 sec.
Processed in LR, PS, using luminosity masking, Topaz denoise, Topaz sharpening, and NIK Color Efx Pro to add more detail.

2 Likes

Hi Barbara, first I’m glad you were safe out there on the ice. That sounded pretty precarious.

Regarding the specific feedback you requested, I think you did well with your framing. I have marked up your image to show how my eye travels through the frame in a nice S curve. Awesome work picking out this compositional element within the chaos of the ice. I think your processing looks natural and the cool tones match the scene. Everything looks nice and sharp to me.

Although this is not a true abstract, it’s perfectly ok to share it here in this category. There is ambiguity of scale in your image which to me is an element of an abstract image. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so very much, Alfredo. The markup is very helpful. I am grateful that you do not feel it is overprocessed. I am learning so much here.

1 Like

You’re welcome Barbara! I’m glad to hear you are learning here on NPN. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

I like this a lot. I would not include the watermark here on NPN.
With images like this I’m always trying to look at the distractions around the edges. I think you did a good job with that. It might be a tad over-sharpened.

1 Like

Thanks, Matt, for the feedback. I have wondered about the over-sharpening. It was a very frosty morning.