Frozen Grip

Description: Frozen Grip

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques: This was taken with a Canon 20D, 18mm, f5.6, ISO 100, 1/40 sec., tripod

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ig West_Quoddy

3 Likes

fantastic image and equally fantastic title.

Thank you Jim. A valued comment.

Harvey, you’ve created an excellent sense of “tall wading bird’s feet” here, that’s delightful. I wish the small branches at the top weren’t there, but cropping that bit out detracts from the tall feet feeling. Nicely seen.

Thank you Mark. When I looked at the scene, I felt those 2 small branches should go, however looking more closely they seem to belong and add to the scene. Sometimes the seemingly awkward really works.

A very cool subject! The crop feels very tight to me, and the blacks feel blocked up. I wonder if a more gentle processing of the raw file could still bring out the drama.

Thanks for your observations Diane. I’ll look at it some more.

Hi Harvey, this is a very interesting and attractive shot of these “twins”, and demonstrates how some trees can thrive in somewhat precarious and challenging conditions. Although the hanging branch is a slight distraction, it illustrates natural scenes aren’t always as neat as we’d like them…there’s a lot of chaos in those woods, lol.

You said it Jim, we can’t just find our subjects always the way we’d like them. But that’s part of the wonderful challenge. If we can see a structure that makes sense, and we can visually show it, I think we’ve gotten somewhere. After all, what we find in the woods, as different as it can seem, is a continuation of what’s not in the woods. Thank you for your comment.

I very much like the double grip in this image. The grip of winter and the grip of the trees using their roots to hold on to the steep bank. Symmetry works very well. My suggestion is a slight crop above to remove the top of the falls, thereby suggesting endless height.

Thanks Igor for your comments and suggestion, I’ll take a look at it.