Garden Tour 17

Sun Worshippers
Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400, 1/400 @ f16 HDR
Our Day Lilies are starting to come on strong and this is one of my favorite varieties. Providing a portrait and landscape orientation for your consideration. I like seeing a bit more of the flower in the landscape version but don’t care for the somewhat sloppy BG. Both images are HDR composites which I find myself using more and more in dappled sunlight. All comments welcome. >=))>

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 400, 1/250 @ f11 HDR

That’s a beautiful specimen Bill and you’ve done a nice job of portraying it with the difficult lighting you encountered. I like the landscape orientation in spite of the BG issues. This flower attracts enough attention that you hardly notice anything else and offers a more complete rendition. I like the angle that you framed, reinforced by the uplifting stamens. Sharpness abounds in all the right places. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Bill, I can see why this is your favorite variation. Love those colors. I too like the landscape orientation best because it does show more of the flower.

I love this kind of light, Bill, and was immediately attracted to the original version. On seeing both I definitely prefer the landscape view - it’s just that bud in the LLC that is a slight distraction
( could it be cloned ?? ) - the rest of the bg works fine for me as setting the flower in context and keeping the flowing, errant stamen.

Bill
Lovely Flower and I agree with other posters liking the landscape version. I always have trouble with these day lilies deciding where to crop if I do not include the whole flower but I think this crop nails it.

Also agree that the only thing about the background that is distracting is that bud in the lower left corner. I would try darkening and cloning in two different versions and pick the one that comes out best.

Both of these are quite nice, Bill. I like the portrait presentation a lot with the way the stamens curve up, though when I look at it for very long, I stat being a little bit bothered by the pistil leaving the frame. The background in the landscape doesn’t bother me much at all. The left side works with the image and the right side is pretty subdued and you could always subdue it a bit more if it bothers you.